We are often asked by parents and athletes how to maximize training potential. Additionally, many athletes are looking to put on added weight, gain strength, add muscle and improve overall diet. One such way is to add whey protein to your workout routines.
The benefits of whey protein isolate (WPI) are so profound, and now so universally understood and research-backed, that athletes of all levels need to have it as part of their diet. Some of these benefits include:
- improved body composition: increased muscle mass, preserved muscle, fat loss
- anti-cancer properties
- improved immune system function
- lowered cholesterol
- lowered blood pressure, lowered risk of heart disease
- reduced inflammation
These benefits have obviously increased the popularity of WPI and saturated the supplement market with thousands of brands and types of whey protein. Unfortunately the supplement market is vastly under policed and filled with products that lack value, and in some cases can have results very contrary to what their labels claim.
- Some things to consider when looking at protein labels:
- Post workout protein should ideally be 100% Whey Protein ISOLATE, avoid whey protein concentrate, and certainly avoid soy (both cheap fillers with less bioavailability than isolate)
- No hidden ingredients, when looking at ingredients stick with protein with few other ingredients, ideally with WPI as the first ingredient
- Seek a non-GMO label
- Ideally seek a label that claims cross-flow, or cold-filtration process and is non-acid treated
Annex Sports Performance Coaches have spent years seeking a protein that our athletes can trust. We have recently partnered with Nutrabio, a small company in Middlesex NJ, to offer Nutrabio Whey Protein Isolate (and now, Organic Vegetable Protein). Our athletes and clients get the best coaching available, and we are proud to offer what we consider to be the best protein available.
We have a variety of flavors available in 2 and 5 lb. tubs, and can special order any flavor desired (and usually have it on site within 2 days). Please talk to your coach to find out more, or contact Tim@AnnexSportsPerformance.com.